Friday, November 11, 2011

Candid Wedding Photos

I'm totally obsessed with the blog Moment Junkie. Photographers submit wedding day photography that is candid and journalistic. They are always beautiful, and vary between hilarious and touching. So the other day I was going through my own wedding day photos, trying to find my own "junkies." This is what I found:

There are a million photos of my dad visiting with one person or another at my wedding. If only you knew how much this is a reflection of his personality. Here he is visiting with my grandmother-in-law. I'm sure the conversation was pretty funny...Abuela's English is broken, and my father has the worst phoentic awareness/skills.


This photo cracks me up. That's Marisa on the right.  She's Nathaniel's cousin, and is a total ball of sunshine. In the center in yellow, is Nathaniel's sister, and the other two are more cousins. If you've ever waited outside an LDS temple waiting for a couple to come out after they've been married...you know this photo describes it perfectly: excitement, anxiousness, and a large dose of boredom.



This photo isn't particularly interesting, but I love all those smiling faces. I can't begin to describe what it felt like to walk out of the temple and be greeted with a wall of loved ones quietly grinning ear-to-ear. I felt so loved and supported. I know you can't see a lot of people in it, but you get the idea. I wish I had a wide-angle photo of every face I was greeted with when we stepped out!

The photo on the left is from my cousin McKenzie's wedding. On the right is my own. You can see our Grandma creepin' in both of them on the right sides. When I saw mine, I instantly thought of this photo from McKenzie's. You can tell Grandma was excited for us...she's right up there in the action!

I think at this moment the photographer was trying to gather people for photos. We were in la-la land.


A bear hug with one of my best friends, Kellene.

I don't remember who took the photo, but I was definitely in my underwear...hence the pink plastic wedding-dress bag held up in front of my body. And I love my mom rockin' her heat curlers. This was right before the reception.

 Another hug. This one with my mom at the reception. And one of my sweetest friends, Laura, laughing at one of Nathaniel's antics. For me, this photo just says joy.

My sweet cousins. They are the sisters I've never had.


The reason I shared this photo, is because of the little girl just to the right of Nathaniel. Her name is Sandee, she's my childhood best friend's little sister. My friend, Dana, hosted an engagement party six months before we got married. Sandee helped Dana at the party. At one point, Sandee sat Nathaniel down for an "interview," and ended by batting her lashes and asking for his number. She even stroked his arm (you can see the photo from the party to the right...look at her, scammin' on my man!) Now, when Dana is on the phone with me, Sandee asks Dana how Nathaniel is doing...not me. She is a spunky little thing. I think the photo at the wedding captured the magic she so obviously sees in the world.


And then, a photo from our second reception in Miami:

I wasn't wearing my wedding dress at our reception in Miami, but it still felt every bit of a reception. We sat at a couple's table, and one of Nathaniel's old church leaders gave us a little speech. He started speaking in Spanish, laughed, looked at me, and switched to English after realizing I had no idea what he was saying. The reception was filled with yummy Cuban food, salsa dancing, and lots of Spanish-speaking women hugging me in tears. These sweet girls are Nathaniel's cousins.

What's happening in your favorite "junkie moment" photo?

Always,

P.S.
Today is 11.11.11! We were engaged this week two years ago. We've been married for a year and five months, now...where has the time gone?!

10 comments:

Becoming Supermommy said...

I actually hate posing for pictures. Always have. So instead of hiring a wedding photographer, I asked several of my friends who are professional photographers to just take pictures. We ended up doing a few poses (my sister brought a friend who's a wedding photographer and INSISTED that we needed "standard" pictures), but the rest of them all have that journalistic, in-the-moment feel. I love them all. :)

Kathleen said...

This is my favorite "junkie moment" from my wedding:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=556395332309&set=a.556394024929.2190024.17812737&type=3&theater

This is me and my lil sis. I love it because I feel like it shows the bond we have as sisters; she is my best friend.

Nettie S. said...

I love attending weddings! :)

Tina Golightly said...

Oh Hannah, you looked so beautiful at your wedding! I always get so happy when you post pictures of your happy day, because I love seeing snapshots of love. I hope you've been well, and don't worry about not posting a couple times a week. Everyone gets caught up in a busy schedule once in a while. I'm trying my best to not fail at just posting once a month!

Hannah said...

Supermom...that sounds wonderful!

Kathleen, I LOVE that photo! It's so beautiful!

Tee, I couldn't agree more. The best one is your own, though :)

Tina, thank you, thank you! And thank you...I will definitely keep that in mind! :)

Jena Roach said...

Weddings pictures are always fun to look at, candid or not. :) Your day looks like it was a blast!

I found your blog on 20Sb, and I'm your newest follower! Hooray for Okie bloggers! :)

Whitney said...

I love all these candid shots, those are the most interesting because they aren't posed and you get to see people's real reactions and personalities. Your wedding dress was gorgeous. Is that the Redlands Temple?

xoxo
Whitney - cwdavenport.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Great pictures! I just love all the sweet and funny moments at weddings!

Ryan Adair said...

I absolutely LOVED this post! I always think the candids are the best of the best. :)

Ryan @ Thismustbetheplaceryan

Hannah said...

Recently Roached, thank you, thank you! I think our wedding day was a blast...we had yard games at our reception, a kite to fly, a photo booth, and an ice cream bar...it was a blast!

Whitney, thanks so much! It's actually the Sacramento Temple. They look pretty similar though.

Thanks, Amy!

Ryan, thank you, thank you! I think candids are the greatest, too. I should have hired a journalistic photographer...that would be amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...