Monday, July 18, 2011

Potatoes, Peas and All Things Green

At the end of our groceries and the end of our paycheck, I made us some dinner the other day that was both cheap and simple: mashed potatoes, frozen peas and chicken nuggets. This is a typical meal for us. Half because it's what we can afford and half because it's what's easiest. As I swirled my lemon-pepper potatoes in with my sweet peas, I thought about how someday I would be able to afford to cook us more elaborate meals.

Dinner.



I daydreamed for a moment of careers and money. Of fancy vacations and luxury. I thought about what it would feel like to have an income large enough to not need to live paycheck to paycheck.

I mushed the peas in my mouth, feeling the sweetness pop against my tongue. The potatoes were mellow and creamy. I looked at the small handful of green grapes I'd eat afterwards, and I smiled thinking about their cool juices bursting in resistence on my teeth. It was simple, but it was enough -- it was more than enough.

My iTunes was on random. Silent Night started playing. I listened to the words, and I must admit, I started crying as I ate my mashed potatoes in our small, borrowed home. I thought of the Savior, who came into the world in humble conditions, lived his life and left in the exact same manner. And her I was, thinking I needed more.

How completely selfish I was for dreaming of days of decadence. When in reality, I have everything I could possibly need.

Always,

P.S.
The version I heard was by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Breathtaking, is the only proper way to describe them:

2 comments:

Sherms said...

I think its natural to want more out of life. And I'm certain that every young couple starting out have had times when money was tight and you have to be creative with meal times. I know Adam and I have. I is great to stop every now and then and be thankful for what we have, little though it may be. You have a wonderful husband, health, a home (tho you're leaving it) and a loving family. I think the trick is to be happy with what you have but not to stop trying to be and do better xx

Hannah said...

I definitely agree, Shermeen! Thanks for your thoughts. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...