Saturday, September 25, 2010

Thoughtless

I hoped in the car yesterday to go to school -- late of course -- and the air in the tires were low, so I quickly jumped in the other car.

I begrudgingly walked to class. Then to work. Feeling sorry for myself the whole way there. Walking doesn't feel very good with a tweaky ankle.

Nathaniel called me at about 2:57 while I was at work.

N: Why did you take the mercedes?

H: Well, the air was low in the tires on the other car, and I was in a hurry.

N: Baby, you took the keys! I have to go to work!

H: Oh nooo, I am so sorry!

But it's okay. Nathaniel laughed it off. He mostly just thought it was funny. The sad thing is...it didn't occur to me until the very moment he said you took the keys, that I had in fact took the keys to the other car. Me = absent-minded. But at least Nathaniel thinks it's funny. One of his co-workers picked him up.

The good news is it was payday! I went to pick up my check, and called Nathaniel quickly after at 4:16 to ask him a question. Of course, he said...

N: Honey, we've already talked about it, remember?

And of course...

H: No...not at all.

*Sigh*

Then I got home, my friend Allison came over and we chatted, made delicious animal-shaped pancakes for dinner and then suddenly it was already past 8 o'clock. Which, of course, means when I checked my phone I had a text from Nathaniel at work from 20 minutes ago at 7:52 asking...

N: u coming sooonish?

Shoot.

So we jumped in the car to deliver Nathaniel his eggs, apples and animal-shaped pancakes (have I mentioned how much I love those?) We probably got there around 8:15. Nathaniel wasn't mad -- just worried.

Allison left. I picked up Nathaniel at work just after 11 (because remember...I abandoned him without any keys). I had dragged my laptop over to the couch, the internet cord stretched over the ground clear from the desk in the corner. I left my computer sitting on the couch as we got ready for bed. As I stood in the doorway of the bathroom I heard Nathaniel yelp as he nearly face-planted into a wall. He had tripped over my thoughtlessness.

Nathaniel grouchily walked into our room. I felt hot tears form behind my eyes as I stood in the doorway. I had messed up. Again. For what felt like the millionth time that day.

Poking his head around the corner, Nathaniel looked at me and laughed with a knowing smile on his face as a tear rolled down my cheek.

N: Come here. You are such a kid. It's okay.

And I blubbered and pouted about my failure of a day as I curled up in his arms in my turquoise zebra-patterned pjs -- I guess I really am a kid.

Nathaniel pulled me in, and told me it was okay again. My day wasn't a failure because after all, I determine the day -- the day doesn't determine me. I was not a failure.

Oh dear...I love him. <3


Always,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh hannah very cute! felt like i was there! i love your stories. . .
-krista

alyssa said...

What a sweet boy! I love watching you guys be in love. Don't be scared.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...