Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Dirty Windows

On Saturday I was able to attend a special conference for the women of our church -- the General Relief Society Meeting. As women we gathered at the church and watched the broadcast from Salt Lake, where we heard from ecclesiastical leaders including the president and prophet of the LDS church, Thomas S. Monson.

President Monson began his sermon with a story about a woman who constantly judged her neighbors. As this woman looked through her windows, she was astonished as to why her neighbors would hang dirty laundry on the line to dry. After constantly pointing out the dirty laundry to her husband, she was surprised when suddenly, one day, the laundry on the line was clean. Her husband pointed out to her that he had cleaned their windows.

I was touched as President Monson spoke to us about charity and Christ-like love. I was humbled. I'd be lying if I said I didn't cry.

I feel like this quote sums everything up:

"Do these differences tempt us to judge one another? Mother Teresa, a Catholic nun who worked among the poor and needy most of her life, spoke this profound truth, 'If you judge people, you have no time to love them.' The Savior has admonished, 'This is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you.' I ask, can we love one another as the Savior has commanded if we judge another? And I answer with Mother Teresa -- no we cannot."


President Monson continued as he reminded the woman of the church what the motto of the Relief Society was -- Charity Never Faileth. He also reminded us that charity is the pure love of Christ, and that true charity is "love in action."

I was grateful to feel uplifted and edified. I imagined the many woman around the world united in faith, listening to the prophet and feeling the Lord's love. I was reminded that the Lord knew me and loved me personally, but above anything else I was reminded -- I need to clean my windows.

Always,





P.S.

The church will hold a special semi-annual conference, called General Conference, this weekend on Saturday and Sunday. To watch, listen or read past conferences, as well as watch the conference this weekend see here. I think you should be able to stream the conference this weekend from the internet. :)

1 comment:

alyssa said...

oh sister. amen. amen, amen amen amen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...