Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Phone Calls with Barry

Norman has a Christmas parade every year. And a parade wouldn't be a parade without a grand marshal. I called up this year's grand marshal, Barry Switzer, 75-year-old former University of Oklahoma and Dallas Cowboys football coach, to ask him how he felt about the honor. No answer. Left a voicemail.

My phone rings a few hours later. I answer.

"Newsroom, this is Hannah."

"Coach Switzer."

"Uh, yeah, hello. This is Hannah with The Norman Transcript. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about being the grand marshal in the Christmas parade this weekend?"



"I don't even know what's going on. Where am I supposed to be?"

"Oh, I'm not sure. I'm with the newspaper. I don't really know what's going on. You can call Ed Copelin and ask him. I can give you his number."

"The parade starts at 10:30, right?"

"I'm actually not sure. Do you want Ed's number?"

"Can you find out for me? Email me at (his email) when you find out."

At this point, I'm both confused and amused — trying hard to hold back the laughter.

"Well...do you just want Ed's contact information? You can ask him yourself."

"No. That's why I'm asking you. Can't you just figure it out?"

Okay, I'm laughing now.

"What's your email again?"

I then asked Barry how he felt about being asked to be the grand marshal.

"I thought it was kind of neat. I've been a marshal before in a parade ... rode around with grandkids in a convertible. Can't remember what year or for what. Becky and I have been asked to do this and we look forward to doing it. It's an honor to be considered someone that they'd choose to represent your city."

Real stand-up guy, that Barry. Good thing he's an old man.

Always,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...