Monday, November 1, 2010

Pebbles -- Simplicity, part 3

"The wise...resist the temptation to get caught up in the frantic rush of everyday life. They follow the advice 'There is more to life than increasing its speed.' In short, they focus on the things that matter most." -President Uchtdorf

****

Lately I've been contemplating how I could improve myself -- my mental, physical and spiritual health; my relationship with my husband, family and friends; as well as my knowledge and abilities i.e. education and talent.

Basically, I had come to an awareness that I needed to proactively work at defeating the Goliaths in my life. At first it felt overwhelming and impossible, until I remembered it was a simple slingshot and stone that helped David in the first place.

David defeated Goliath with a pebble. I could certainly do the same with my own.

****

"The is a beauty and clarity that comes from simplicity that we sometimes do not appreciate in our thirst for intricate solutions." -President Uchtdorf

****

After listening to the most recent general conference broadcast, I was struck by President Uchtdorf's talk titled "Of Things That Matter Most." President Uchtdorf suggested we decrease the frantic pace of our day-to-day lives. That instead of writing longer to-do lists, or moving at a faster speed -- we just need to simplify our lives.

At first, I thought, easier said than done. But as President Uchtdorf suggested ways we could cut out the excess, and what was most important to focus on...I realized it was possible. My pebble would suffice.

President Uchtdorf suggested we focus on the following:

1. Our relationship with God.

2. Our relationship with family

3. our relationship with our fellowman

4. Our relationship with ourselves

And so, again, I thought...how can I do this? How will I implement this into my own life? How would I simplify my life?

I decided -- this is what I will put to the test:

1. More time studying the scriptures

2. Keeping a strict bedtime

3. Banning excessive media consumption -- i.e. Facebook, Blogger, TV, I-pod, reading, etc.

4. Weekly date-nights with Nathaniel

I realize there are more things I need and want to add to my "simplicity" goals, but...I've got to start small!

And here's the end goal...

As I ban the unnecessary distractions from my life, I hope I will find an added measure of clarity and peace in the direction of my life.

Simplicity will help me achieve my goals to become a better, more well-rounded person...

who knew one pebble could do so much?





****

How do you feel? Any hopes on simplifying your own life? How will you go about it?

I'll post frequently about my own simple goals and the difference they have made for myself.

Always,

1 comment:

Sallie said...

I love the idea of "simplicity"...I just have a hard time implementing it into my life.

Someday I will get there.

Thanks Hannah!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...