Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Creativity: Kristi of Live. Laugh. Read.


Day 2 of HEIA: Creativity.
Kristi is easily one of my favorite people in the entire world. She is brilliant and absolutely hilarious. She'll tell you herself, but we're camp friends (are you tired of hearing about camp yet?!) and have a million fabulous memories together.
Me and Kristi when we were...16? 17?
Today, she's inspiring us by reminding us that we all possess the ability to create. Enjoy Kristi's brilliance:
Hey darlings! This is Kristi from Live. Laugh. Read, and I’m so excited to be guest posting on Hannah Explains It All today!  Hannah and I go way back to when we were both young 12 year-olds going to girl’s camp together.  Hannah has asked that I write a little somethin somethin about creativity for all her lovely followers. Seriously, you’re all lovely.
Hannah and I (we’re in the middle) when we were what, 14 maybe? I’m in the pink shirt and obviously need a better bra. Hannah looks awesome as always.


Like Hannah, I’m a writer. Where she gravitated towards journalism, I fell in love with creative writing. I started my blog in 2008 because I wanted to get into the habit of writing regularly. Every writing book I’ve ever read says to start keeping a daily journal, to start writing down observations about the world around us. To take notice of the things that help us think and create.
There is so much to be inspired by. Music inspires me, it gives me a rhythm to my creating, but silence inspires me also. Staring out a window to the world beyond, just sitting there is when I feel most connected to this world. I watch the goings on and marvel that we are living on a creation, that we are creations ourselves.
Creation is inherent in all of us. The idea of taking different materials to create something new excites me. I love that whole worlds are created through writing. New languages and customs are presented. Characters are developed that can change someone’s life. It’s an awesome responsibility. I wonder at the ability to string words together in such a way that you can make people weep, or laugh out loud. In writing, it’s a way for me to work out the way I see things, or experience the world through the eyes of someone who is the opposite of me.
Along with writing, I love to craft, and cook, and bake. I love presenting a prettily designed cake to a group of family and friends. You just feel pleased with yourself.

A cake I made. I LOVE pink, black, and, white together.  
I love color. And texture, and pattern, and combinations with gusto. I especially love lace, and sparkles, and bows, and soft pinks. They feel ultra-feminine, and I like it. They make me feel in touch with my womanly side. I’ve never been the “earth mama” type, but women are the ultimate creators. We have the power to create life in our very bodies.  It’s amazing.
I don’t believe in those that say they’re not creative. We are all creative. Left-brained people get a bad rep for being logical, analytical, and very one-way thinkers. I think it takes a special kind of mind to solve a complex math problem or balance a chemical equation. One needs to see the possibilities. That’s all creativity is really, being open to all the possibilities available to us.
I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts with you. Please feel free to check out my little slice of the internet pie if the fancy strikes you.  Have a beautiful day all of my creative friends!


P.S. Want to add your voice to the discussion on creativity? E-mail me at hannahmoore2007 at hotmail dot com.

2 comments:

Jessica Ruud said...

Hey!!

I love your blog. Found you on 20sb and saw you were into writing!

That's such an awesome cake; you're really talented. And cute pictures from the past :)

xo.
http://thewrittenword-jlr.blogspot.com/

Hannah said...

I wish I could take credit for that cake, JRudd, but I didn't make it...Kristi did. I'm sure she'd be flattered though. Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...