Obviously the braid trend has been gaining momentum over the last few years. I must admit, at first, I wasn't feeling it. Now I love it. Although, I used to think fishtail braids were really tacky. There was something about the hair tie at the top that, to me, was gag-worthy. Take the lovely Blake Lively, for example:
She's obviously gorgeous, but I feel like the tie at the top is just...juvenile. Without the tie, I think a fishtail braid can be both bohemian and elegant. Which was the exact feeling we were going for with Kourt's bridal hair:
Kourt's finished look.
The best part is it's actually easier than traditional braiding. Let me walk you through it:
1. Gather hair as if pulling back in a ponytail. This can either be all your hair (like below) or part of it (like above).
2. Split gathered hair in two equal portions.
3. Grab a small strip of hair from the outside of the right portion of hair. Cross the small strip over the right portion, and place on the inside left portion of hair.
4. Grab a small strip of hair from the outside of the left portion of hair. Cross the small strip over the portion section, and place on the inside right portion of hair.
5. Repeat until desired length and secure. For Kourt's hair, I pushed in a handful of bobby pins and hairspray. Below, I just used a hair tie.
6. Play with the braid. It will look different depending on the texture of your hair (i.e. curly or straight), how thick your small strips are, how tightly you pull the hair, where you position the braid, etc.
My fishtail the other day.
BTW, when I googled "fishtail braid" I stumbled across a blog dedicated to all things mermaid. Why a blog for all things mer-related? "Because mermaids are f--king awesome." Yup...
Here's a video from the Beauty Department doing the fish tail braid...but not gonna lie, I think mine's prettier, but hey -- whatever!
Thanks for posting how to do it! I have two girls who love pretty braids.
I saw you at For the Love of Blogs, and I'm your newest follower! Please come check me out, too.
Oh, how fun! I hope it was useful (especially for doing little girl's hair!)
Oh I love it! Super pretty. I'll have to try it out for a special occasion xx
Thanks, Shermeen! I'd love to see photos if you ever give it a try!
Post a Comment