Sunday, October 24, 2010

Of Art, Optimism and Endurance

On Wednesday, Terry Morrow, taught us about learning.

He drew us three different graphs. One that steadily traveled upward. One that traveled upward with several flat-lined plateaus. And another that traveled upward complete with high and low spikes.

Terry said our graphs would all look a little different. Some of us would catch on easier. Some of us would get stuck for a while, and have to learn how to get out of it. And others, would just have a few really awful days.


There would be days where we just wouldn't seem to get it, he said, where nothing would click. But sooner or later, if we kept pushing, we would have a moment where everything clicks and we'd move on -- our graphs continuing to move upward and forward.

And then a student asked a question: "Why do none of the graphs you drew move downwards? What if I'm actually getting worse?"

Of course, I'm sure the student was joking, but Terry replied:

"Because I'm a quintessential optimist -- that's why."

Terry went on to remind us that we all have good minds -- like he always does -- and that we're talented, the "creme de la creme," the best of the best. But more importantly, he said the lowest points in our graphs, would be where we really learned the most. That's when we fight to see, to understand and to improve.

At that moment I felt like Heavenly Father was tapping at my heart, reminding me why we must endure adversity.

As I sat listening, aware of my ankle still wrapped in a brace, I felt a sweet confirmation from a Father in Heaven that He loves me and only gives me experiences to help me learn. I realized this was only a low part in my graph, simply a moment to push through until the "a-ha" moment came and I could continue to move upward and forward.

****

"As we look for humor, seek for the eternal perspective, understand the principle of compensation, and draw near to our Heavenly Father, we can endure hardship and trial. We can say, as did my mother, 'Come what may, and love it.'" - Joseph B. Wirthlin


Always,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...