Thursday, February 3, 2011

Better than Sliced Bread

I discovered the coolest thing since pencils for the art nerd today.


Google Art Project is the coolest thing ever. The website says: Explore museums from around the world, discover and view hundreds of artworks at incredible zoom levels, and even create and share your own collection of masterpieces.


Woooooooow! Okay, so I'm really excited. But seriously, living in po-dunk, middle of nowhere, I don't have any real-world access to fine-art. With the Art Project you can not only explore the actual museum or gallery, but you can zoom-up, high-definition-style on the artwork. Crazy. Check it out:

 Here we are perusing the Van Gogh Museum, in the Netherlands, no less. Lord knows I'll never get to actually go there.

 This is Van Gogh's Seascape near Les Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer. It looks okay if you take a picture of it...but just okay.

But check this out! When you zoom in you can see the paint strokes! You can see the canvas! You can see each individual color! This is brilliant!

Okay, but really. I love this. I think everybody needs a little bit of art in their life...and this just makes it more accessible. More real. Less...stuffy-stuck-in-a-museum. More everyday-real-life-art. 

Always,

4 comments:

Allison Y. said...

Oh my gosh, we were just talking about Google art project in my period furnishings class today! We explored the Palace of Versailles on the big screen! Coolest Google function ever.

Hannah said...

I knoooow! I explored the Palace of Versailles for a bit, too! I thought that was so crazy...there's a good chance I'll never get to be there so it was neat to see it in that format!

DEFINITELY coolest Google function ever.

Unknown said...

=) I have to show Xavier! He will love this!! By the way- you look GREAT! I meant to tell you thursday but I blabbed forever about nothing... You look really good though.. Keep up the good work!! LOVE you! annnnd this is Alexis but I'm on Deege's computer.. HAHA

Hannah said...

Bahaha! Thanks, Alexis!! I love you, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...